It’s that time to take inventory of the various news items and developments in the high yield investing and dividend universe. Here are a few recent stories that caught my attention and my thoughts that follow:
- Dividend Increases in the News: There has been a spate of recent dividend increases which is a positive indicator for both the individual stocks and the economy as a whole. When we start to see dividend cuts, that often precedes a recession and vice-versa. Here are some companies that have recently increased dividends: Qualcomm, ScotiaBank, Glencore, Synthos, Standard Charter,
- New HighYield Investments: Here’s some info on the launch of First Trust’s Long/Short High Yield ETF.
- Linking a Dividend to a Single Product? This is one that I haven’t seen before. Elan has indicated that it will issue a dividend based on the royalty stream it recieves from its blockbuster drug Tysabri. I’ve never seen a company (outside of royalty trusts, etc) link a dividend payout like this, but here’s the scoop.
- Dividend Growth Outperforming the Market? I’ve seen plenty of evidence pointing here before (as well as lower volatility), but here’s an article backing it up with some data.
- Stocks with 50 Years of Increasing Dividend History – These lists really shrunk during the financial collapse when many companies in the sector had to chop their dividends to preserve capital, but here’s a list of 7 companies that haven’t stopped raising the bar!